Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pure Addiction!

A requirement for being apart of my family is the feeling of pure happiness when you are eating an amazing piece of bread! I know I know, its weird to some, but everyone in my family loves carbs! I guess its a pure addiction that we all share...beats other types of cravings that's for sure!

   Well anywho, whenever Grandma Priscilla comes for a visit, she always makes sure we are stocked up on flour...weird right?! Well it all has to do with Blue Bird Flour being the best type when it comes to making tortillas and the fact that its not sold in the greater part of Denver...well it used to not be. Now we can purchase our own at King Soopers, so we no longer need Grandma Priscilla to keep our stock pile high! Mr. Fernando told his mother that we needed more, when in reality we did not. So now I'm left with this huge abundance of flour, so I decided to make homemade tortillas for Fernando's coworkers. Am I the best or what?! ( The tortillas were forgotten on the counter, so my mother was the lucky winner instead!) 

 I decided that a tortilla tutorial was a great thing to share with you all! Believe me, when your done cooking and ready to eat a warm, fresh, homemade tortillas, you'll be so mad that I hadn't posted this sooner! And as a side note: these were my best batch yet!

What you will need:

4 c. Flour (whatever your preference in brand) + 1 c. extra 
1 tbs. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 c. warm water
2 tbs. olive oil

Combine all of the dry ingredients. Then add olive oil. You will need to grind down the chunks of oil and flour the formed until flour is smooth throughout. Add all of water at once, do not add little at a time, it makes dough tough. Your dough will be a little on the soggy side, so add 1/2 cup of your extra flour. Cover with damp rag for 10 min. Once skillet it heated, I use my cast iron because it heats the tortilla evenly, break off 3 balls, a little bigger than a golf ball. Roll out and leave on skillet for 1 min. on first side, then about 30 seconds on the second. Continue until all of dough is used. Keep warm in tortilla warmer or in between a cloth. 

Makes: 12-15 tortillas. ( I always cut this in half for breakfast so that we are not left with tons of leftovers...they are too addicting!) Below are step by step pictures.

Enjoy!











Daddy and baby girl while mama is slaving over a hot stove!

4 comments:

  1. mmm... love homemade flour tortillas. i'm bad, though. i always use lard. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried that yet! Sounds like a good idea when I'm ready to fully dive into my tortilla addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my - I'm definitely trying your recipe! Looks so easy!

    Love the new layout, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are, I only learned from Fernandos mom because how easy it is! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete